Posted on:-Mar 10
This stew is perfect for a cold winter day. It is packed with antioxidant-rich vegetables and fragrant spices. Serve this stew over a scoop of cooked quinoa or whole grain brown rice. Yield: 6 servings
Here’s what you need:
• 1 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons water or vegetable stock, divided
• 1 large size yellow onion, finely chopped
• 2 large size red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
• 2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 teaspoon agave nectar or pure maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon grated or minced fresh ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon saffron
• 2 medium size sweet potatoes or garnet or jewel yams, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
• 1 can (15oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1 can (15oz) chickpeas drained and rinsed
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat 3 tablespoons water in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, peppers and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes. If the water begins to evaporate, add a little more.
2. Stir in the agave nectar, coriander, cinnamon, cumin, ginger and saffron and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add sweet potatoes, and stir to coat. Stir in tomatoes, remaining 1 1/2 cups water and chickpeas. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
3. Simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then serve over quinoa or brown rice.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 141 calories, 1g fat, 29g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, and 6g protein.
To Your Continued Success,
JJ Brawley N.C.P.T.
Your Coach, Trainer and Friend
Helping people look better naked since 2003
Inner City Boot Camp Program Coordinator
The San Diego Boot Camp that GUARANTEES results!
Leave a Comment
- [Monday Motivation] Every. Single. Day. Matters. ????
- [Wisdom Wednesday] Bruce Lee’s Advantage?
- [For Immediate Release] Holistic Life Expo to Benefit La Mesa Integrative Health
- [For Immediate Release] Fitness Boot Camp Invites Community to Help Raise Funds for Local Elementary School
- [For Immediate Release] Fit Body Boot Camp Hosts Holistic Life Expo to Benefit Jeans 4 Justice